Thursday, January 8, 2009

Playoff Beards

The Eagles may be succeeding right now on the football field, but they are failing when it comes to instituting the playoff beard.


When I look back on my posts (which won't take that long considering my lack of activity over the past year), and I see a post labeled "Playoff Beards," I will no doubt think the post is about hockey. And I'm sure I'll get a couple of poor Google users to waste a minute of their time. But this issue is bugging me.

When the Eagles began their improbable (and unfinished) run to, and through, the playoffs, the players and coaches started growing facial hair in an effort to create some team unity. As dumb as that might sound to some, it's been done for years; most notably in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. And I think it is one of the coolest things about hockey.

The Eagles are doing it wrong.
- First, defensive coordinator, Jim Johnson, who I really respect, shaved after the Birds' week 16 loss to the Redskins. I know all appeared lost at that point, but when you start something like this, you don't stop until your season is over (Officially).
- Second, some players aren't doing it. What?! I don't care if you can't grow a beard. You try. That is part of the fun of it; making fun of the baby faces.
- Don't trim the beard; too many players have goatees, chin straps, and generally well groomed facial hair. This tradition is not about style or looks. In fact, it is almost totally about the opposite. Everyone looks like crap. But everyone looks like crap together, as a team.
- I heard someone call WIP today and suggest that everyone in the City start their beards. No. You can't start two weeks into the playoffs, and even worse, over a month after the official start.

It was a nice attempt by the Eagles, and some have done it very nicely (*clears throat* Andy Reid). And in the end, it appears to have had the desired effect. But maybe a crazy tradition like this should be left to the experts of crazy traditions (Hockey players, for those not following).

No comments: